Thursday, October 14, 2010

An Introduction to a Blog and to Dinner

Right, so... I feed my flat of three boys and two girls... That means I've gotta try and find a balance between that which is filling, and sustaining for the boys and that is also tasty and healthy for us girls! Further more, I've recently been going to this BodySense workshop (check 'em! http://sites.yellow.co.nz/site/oceanhealth/) which is helping to clear up some common misconceptions about women's health and their bodies...

SO baring all this in mind, I present to you my first ever recipe. Lemon, Rice and Fish in Pita Pockets. This is adapted from  Jo Seagar's recipe as printed in her book Lip Smackin' (http://joseagar.com/store/books/lip-smackin).



Here goes:

Kat-ified Lemon, Fish and Rice Pita Pockets

Recipe after the jump...


Ingredients:

3 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups water
a little salt
1/2 lemon - zest

5 White Fish Fillets... Firm is best...
1 egg, or a little water
1 cup wholemeal flour
a pinch of oregano or dried herb of your choice
1 tbsp olive oil or butter

1 lemon - juice
1/2 lemon - zest
1/2 cup fresh corriander, chopped.

1/4 cup mayo/greek yoghurt

8 pita pockets

Method:

Okay, so first off... Cook your rice. One of my flat mates has provided a rice cooker, so I follow those instructions for a loose, slightly crunchy grain... But you cook your rice however you want. Just be sure to chuck that lemon zest in with the water and salt... This enhances the lemon flavour!

When the rice is damn near/totally cooked: Prepare your space for fish preparation: chopping board and knife, beat the egg in a bowl (or pour a little water into a bowl if that's more your thing), pour the flour onto a plate and sprinkle dried herbies over. Melt butter/pour oil into a medium-hot pan.

So, you slice the fish into thin-ish 1cm (1/2 inch) strips. Dunk it in the egg/water... Toss it through the flour/herb mix and fry it quickly in the hot pan. I do this in batches 'cause then it's easier to control.

Pop the pitas into the toaster to warm up, then cut in half (|) like that...

When the rice and all the fish is cooked mix the lot of it together in a large bowl with the lemon juice, lemon zest and coriander (aka cilantro). I like to mix a little greek yoghurt or mayo through at this point, because I can't stand dry food... But that is totally a me thing... One of my flatties prefers to drown his in sweet chilli sauce... This part is entirely up to you!

Now, stuff the warmed pitas with the rice/fish mix and a little salad. I served this meal with steamed greens (the boys were thrilled, not!)!

OM NOM NOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment